Open Ports of Entry
Submission Deadline: Friday, June 15, 2018, | 11:59 pm
Open Ports of Entry
The Bronx Council on the Arts’ Longwood Arts Gallery @ Hostos is looking for original, thought-provoking submissions by Bronx visual artists for its upcoming exhibition Open Ports of Entry.
Based on the availability of funding, a modest honorarium will be available for selected artists.
Open Ports of Entry is a group exhibit that will feature works by contemporary visual and media artists whose works are influenced, inspired, have been created to respond to, or revolve around issues of voluntary and involuntary exile, immigration, asylum seeking, refugee status and statelessness. Only artworks that clearly convey these concepts will be selected. The projected exhibition date is in the Spring of 2019 at the Longwood Art Gallery @ Hostos Community College in the South Bronx (450 Grand Concourse). The art gallery is not responsible for the shipping of artworks to and from the gallery, or for framing, mounting or printing any artworks. Works of art selected need to be ready to hang/install/display. We will not accept works framed behind glass.
- Artists working in the following media are encouraged to apply: artists’ books, comics/storyboards, drawings, illustrations, paintings, printmaking, performance art, photography, sound art, sculpture, and video.
- We strongly encourage submissions by artists-of-color, women, LGBTQ, and artists without gallery representation living and working in the NYC.
- Bronx visual artists 18 and older not enrolled in a degree program (Undergrad or Grad) in 2018.
- Submissions should reflect a direct connection to themes such as voluntary and involuntary exile, immigration, asylum seeking, refugee status and statelessness.
- Artist CV, 1 page maximum
- 250-word-limit biography
- 250-word-limit artist statement
- 3-5 JPEG images (saved as: lastname_name_01)
- Checklist, corresponding to the image list, including title of work, year completed, dimensions and medium
- For video applicants, you may submit up to 2 samples, each one no longer than 10 minutes. Please upload MP4, MOV, AVI, MPG files only!
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed;
If selected, please have the following available/ready:
Artwork that is ready to hang (framed, mounted, stretched, etc)
Artists are responsible for delivering and picking up the artwork(s) to and from the art gallery
For technical inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
*No phone calls inquiring about the status of your submission, please. Selected artists will be contacted by the exhibition staff. Only works that relate to the criteria described above will selected.