Call for Artists - Confidence in the Future Submission Deadline: Saturday, December 7, | 11:59 pm
Confidence in the Future
The Bronx Council on the Arts’ Longwood Art Gallery @ Hostos is seeking submissions from visual and media artists for our upcoming group exhibition “Confidence in the Future”, which will take place at the gallery from March 18-May 27, 2020. The exhibition will be curated by staff of the Bronx Council for the Arts. Submissions are open to Bronx artists working on all mediums and formats, and should use the exhibition theme as a starting point. Additional prompts include, but are not limited to: Exploring what it means to build the future we want to see; dystopian or utopian realities, perhaps as a result of drastic climate change; and different ways of paying homage or respect to histories of resistance, whether interpersonal or societal, which inspire artists in the present.
Selected artists will receive a stipend.
Selected artists will also have the opportunity to propose a Public Program to take place during the run of the show. Programs that relate to the artist’s practice, and that include social justice themes in their design, as well as a clear plan for community collaboration/engagement are highly encouraged.
Selected artists will receive a production budget for the public event and the administrative support of the Longwood Art Gallery.
This call is open to artists who live in the Bronx. In line with BCA’s commitment to supporting under-represented and emerging artists, this year’s exhibitions will focus on showcasing the work of artists under 30.
The art gallery is not responsible for the shipping of artworks to and from the gallery, or for framing, mounting or printing any artworks. Works of art selected need to be ready to hang/install/display.
- Artists working in the following media are encouraged to apply: installation, artists’ books, comics/storyboards, drawings, illustrations, paintings, printmaking, performance art, photography, sound art, sculpture, and video/film.
- We strongly encourage submissions by artists of color, women, LGBT* folks, and artists without gallery representation
- Bronx resident visual artists 18 and older. Priority will be given to artists under 30.
- Submissions should reflect a direct connection to themes such as alternate realities, futurism/afrofuturism, dystopia/utopia, time, imagining the future, etc.
- Max 250-word artist statement
- 5-7 JPEG images (saved as: lastname_name_01)
- Work information for each image, including title of work, year completed, dimensions and medium
- For video applicants, you may submit up to 2 samples, each one no longer than 10 minutes. Please upload MP4, MOV, AVI, MPG files only.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed; If selected, please have the following available/ready: Artwork that is ready to hang (framed, mounted, stretched, etc) Artists are responsible for delivering and picking up the artwork(s) to and from the art gallery For technical inquiries: email@example.com *No phone calls inquiring about the status of your submission, please. Selected artists will be contacted by the exhibition staff. Only works that relate to the criteria described above will selected.
Selected artists will be announced by January 1st, 2020.