2019-2020 Fall/Winter Longwood Youth Workshops
Deadline: Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 11:59 PM
Funding for this program was made possible by: The New Yankees Stadium Community Benefit Fund
As part of the Longwood Art Project’s Youth Engagement Program, BCA is seeking proposals from Bronx based teaching artists in all fields and disciplines to create programming and workshops for local youth ages 14-25. Student groups will come from high schools, after school programs, community centers, and colleges in the neighborhoods surrounding the gallery with a max of 30 students per session.
Teaching artists are encouraged to create interactive workshops reflecting and enhancing student’s engagement with the current exhibition and related social justice concerns relevant to students. Descriptions of shows taking place during Fall/Winter 19-20 are provided for your reference, as well as guidelines and goals for the programs, which can be used to inform your application.
You may apply to multiple dates within the season with an individual proposal for each class you would like to teach. Teaching artists will be offered a stipend of $150 for a 2 hour workshop, as well as a materials stipend. Date of workshops will be scheduled on a one time basis, according to availability of the interested youth group and the artist.
Goals and Guidelines:
· Provide youth with opportunities and skills to interpret and vocalize opinions on artwork in a setting that is informative about the historical contexts in which work is made
· During art-making workshops, set aside time for students to present and discuss the process, influences, and ideas that went into creating their work
· Building an awareness of the use of artwork as a platform and tool to bring visibility to personal and social justice concerns youth may wish to express
· Focus on creating familiarity with gallery spaces, and inform students on local arts resources
· Expose local students to entrepreneurial art practices and alternatives on how to monetize their art work
Dates and Timeline:
The workshops will be scheduled throughout the run of the exhibition (either Fall '19 or Winter '20). Workshops will be scheduled according to mutual availability of the interested youth group and the artist. Each accepted workshop will take place once. Teaching artists may submit up to three individual lesson sketches per exhibition.
· Have a current Bronx street address
· Have experience teaching students ages 14 - 25
Workshops will take place at the Longwood Art Gallery @ Hostos, 450 Grand Concourse, Room C-190, Bronx NY 10451
Please contact email@example.com with any questions regarding the application